Saturday, May 29, 2010

Super Simple, Super Delicious! Keilbasa with Apples and Onions

I remember my mom making this when I was a kid and I thought, "how weird! apples and onions together??"

While I didn't appreciate them as a kid, I sure do now.  This is another one of my favorites, and it's so simple to make.

What you'll need:

1 Keilbasa (I use the kind shaped like a U, should serve 4 people)
1 Medium Onion (I think I used Sweet Vidalia)
1 Large Granny Smith Apple (or you can use any tart baking apple, but not the Red or Green Delicious variety, they are a bit too mushy for this task)
1 Large Pan (frying)
1 Cutting board
A knife
Optional (but not really) some Perogies (yeah, you can use the frozen kind, I did)

So, if you're going to have perogies with it (and why wouldn't you??!) go ahead and start the water to boiling with a little salt and a dash of olive oil.




Slice the keilbasa on the diagonal and drop it into a fairly hot pan.  You'll want the heat a bit on the high side so you get some nice browning on the keilbasa, but not so high that it burns.  So keep and eye on it and stir periodically to get both sides done.










While that is getting nice and browned, slice your onion.  I've heard a million tricks to slice an onion without tears, but I prefer to just suck it up, it's part of the fun of cooking!  Now you want your onion slices kind of on the large side.  Even if you think you don't like onions, these are going to be so delicious you're going to change your mind!
Once the onion is sliced, toss it into the browed keilbasa and turn the heat down to a fair medium.




By now your water for the perogies should be boiling, so go ahead and toss them (don't toss, they'll splash, pour them gently) into the water and cook according to instructions on the package.

Now let's pretend that I wasn't in such a hurry and that I actually remembered to take a picture of the chopped Granny Smith Apple before I tossed it in after the onions.  You want to core the apple, then slice into wedges and make sure all the seeds and tough bits are done.  But don't peel the apple, that's where all the vitamins are!  Besides, if you peel the apple, you make baby kittens cry, and we don't want that.  Once the apple is cored, wedged and de-seedified, chop each wedge into 3 or 4 pieces and toss them ito the pan.

Add: a few shakes of tumeric.  Yep, that's all.


Continue to stir, but gently.  You want everything cooked equally, but you don't want to mush up the apples.

Once the perogies are done, drain the water and add the perogies to the pan and allow them to absorbe some of the color and flavor. 









ENJOY!

Sorry the last picture is so fuzzy, but I was hungry and wanted to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment